Page Updated on:- Thu. 09/01/2014
St. Keverne church has a peal of ten bells, rung from ground level. Until November 2001 there were eight bells. To mark the millennium two more bells were added to bring the ring up to ten.

The two new bells were dedicated by Bishop Bill Ind, of Truro Diocese.

The eight bells (now numbers 3 to 10) were installed in 1907 and replaced three original bells. Canon Diggens, vicar at the time, was instrumental in organising the new peal. At this time space was left for two more bells to be added later.

The opening ceremony on May 9th 1907 was performed by the then Lord Mayor of London, Sir William Treloar, a Cornishman, so 2007 marked the centenary of their installation. The tower clock was installed at the same time.

Inscription on one of the new bells
Inscription on one of the new bells ©D.J.S.
The two new bells arrive
The two new bells arrive ©D.J.S.

Tower Captains
Contact: Helen & Jeremy McCabe
Phone: 01326-280519
Ringing: Sundays at 10:30am
Practice Night: Wednesdays at 7:30pm to 9:00pm

All ringers welcome

We would like more ringers, if you live in the area and would like to learn the art please contact Helen or Jeremy.

At the moment we ring mainly rounds and call changes, with some simple method such as plain hunt.

The St. Keverne ringers are affiliated to the
Truro Diocesan Guild of Ringers (TDGR)

New bell ropes in place for Royal Wedding.

From an article in the June 2011 beacon.
On Friday 29th April 2011, bell ringers from St. Keverne were joined by ringers from Manaccan and St Anthony at 9am in St. Keverne Church to ring the bells in celebration of the marriage of Prince William and Kate Middleton. Many of the ringers then went on to St Anthony to ring there, followed by a final ring at Manaccan, finishing just in time to get back to watch the ceremony on television.

We had a good ring on all 10 bells at St. Keverne. The bells were going nicely and our new ropes, as well as looking smart in Cornish colours of yellow and black, seemed to make the ringing easier.

We had been aware that the old ropes were quite worn in places and were coming to the end of their lives, so, about a year ago we ordered a new set of ropes. We are really pleased with our new ropes, which arrived just before Easter. They were blessed by the Revd Mike Archer at the beginning of the Sunday Service on 1st May, while the congregation gathered around.

As well as being easier to see than the old ones, they will be easier to maintain. The old ropes were made of hemp which, being a natural fibre, would change length according to the weather in dry weather they would become long and stretchy, while wet weather caused the fibres to swell and the ropes become stiff and short. The result would be that during wet or dry periods we would have to climb up to the bells to alter the lengths of the ropes. The new ropes are made mainly of Terylene (apart from the parts we hold natural fibres are still best for this!) which does not react to the weather, so there won't be the need for adjustment as before.

We are always looking for new (or returning) ringers so, if you are interested in finding out more, or coming back to ringing, we would love to see you. See above for contact information.

New Bell Ropes
New Bell Ropes ©J.McC.

Bell Information
Position Dedication* Diam Note Weight
Treble       4-2-12
2       4-3-10
3 Good Christians all, obey our Call 28" E 5-1-1
4 To Church repair, for Praise and Prayer 28¼" D# 5-1-3
5 Your Sins confess, your thanks express 30½" C# 6-0-0
6 Here intercede, for all in need 33" B 7-0-9
7 God's Word receive, his Truth believe 35¾" A 8-0-15
8 Frequent the feast, of Christ your Priest 37½" G# 9-2-17
9 What He doth give, take, eat and Live 41¾" F# 12-3-8
Tenor I to the Church the Living call,
and to the Grave do summon all
47" E 18-1-21
* The dedications for bells 3 to 9 were Composed by Canon Diggens in 1907. The dedication of the tenor is a well used couplet.

Round the crowns of 8, 9 & 10 are the names of former Vicars and Churchwardens.

Bell mounting
Bell mounting ©J.McC.
Wheel and Pully
Wheel and Pully ©J.McC.
The Clapper
The Clapper ©J.McC.

Bell Inscriptions
Position Inscription
Treble To Commemorate The 3rd Millennium of Our Lord
From the People of St. Keverne Parish
2 (As for the treble)
3 Ring On Sweet Angelus To God`s Sole
Glory Leading St. Keverne`s Praise
4 The Sandys Bell Dedicated To Glory Of God
By The Present Members Of The Sandys Family
5 To The Glory Of God And In Loving Memory Of George And Elizabeth Jevons
Of Liverpool. This Bell Is Given By Their Son G.Walter Jevons of Rosuick Cottage
6 In Memory Of George Williams 1891 And Charlotte Mary Horton His Wife 1891
Both Of Lanarth In This Parish. This Bell Is Given By Their Son P.D.Williams
7 In Memory Of The Family Of Thomas Worthington King. Formerly Of Cincinnati
Ohio. U.S.A. All Lost On The Mohegan. October 14.1898
8 This Bell Was Recast At The Expense Of John Williams Of Ealing W.
Formerly Of Chyreene In This Parish
9 The Completion Of This Peal Is Largely Due To The Help Of
Mrs. Sandys (Lanarth St. Kew) J.C. Daubuz (St. Kea) And T.H. Dennis (Liverpool)
Tenor The Three Old Bells In This Tower Were Recast And The Present Peal Completed A.D. 1907.
W.A.Diggens. Vicar
P.D. Williams
G.C. Knowles Churchwarden
E.J. Levton Spry Treasurer

Mounting of<br>No 4
Mounting of
No 4 ©J.McC.
Inscription on<br>No 5
Inscription on
No 5 ©J.McC.
Wheel rim of<br>No 6
Wheel rim of
No 6 ©J.McC.

Repeat of May 2007 Beacon article.

A brief history of St. Keverne Bells.

Before 1907 the Church had three bells which were installed over a period from mid 18th century to mid 19th century. They appear to have been quite difficult to ring and required two ringers to each bell. By 1905 the frame holding these bells was getting rather dangerous and it was suggested that a new peal of eight bells should be installed. Canon Diggens, vicar at the time, and a number of prominent parishioners made a marvellous effort in raising the necessary funds. So successful in fact that there was sufficient money for a heavier peal of bells to be ordered from Taylors of Loughborough, who also supplied the frame. The old bells were melted down and recast to supply some of the metal for the new ring. A clock for the tower was ordered at the same time. The new bells were delivered in March or April 1907 by farm cart from Helston railway station accompanied by much jubilation and bedecked with wreaths of flowers preceded by St. Keverne band.

On Ascension Day 1907, the Lord Bishop of the Diocese paid his first visit to the parish for the purpose of dedicating the Bells and the Clock. With him came the Lord Mayor of London, the High Sheriff of Cornwall and three local Mayors, all to proclaim the bells open for use in the service of God.

The service was followed by a sumptuous Luncheon attended by the dignitaries and later in the afternoon tea was provided for 1000 people.

As many of you will remember the eight bells were further augmented to ten in 2001 as a celebration of the millennium, again the villagers made a really grand effort in raising the necessary funds. The two new bells now take the treble and second positions. St. Keverne is now one of three towers in Cornwall having a peal of Ten Bells and as such gets quite a number of visiting bands of ringers.

Current Situation.

Our own band of ringers is rather depleted at the moment though it is not so long ago that they could muster a full complement and more. We would be very pleased to have new members so why not come along and give it a try. Like all worthwhile things it does take time to learn and involves considerable skill to accomplish the more complicated things. At St. Keverne we ring rounds, where the bells follow each other in sequence, and call changes, where pairs of bells swap position in the ringing order under the direction of the captain. We also attempt a bit of simple method ringing, where the bells change position to a set pattern and hopefully produce a more musical sound.


Inscription on<br>the Tenor
Inscription on
the Tenor ©J.McC.